Mrs. Wilhelmus
English 11AP
7 August 2013
Women Vs. The World
Many men were favored philosophers in history. Aristotle was one of the highly
respected philosophers of his time. He was very intelligent but even some of his views were
a little bias. Aristotle thought that men were superior not only in philosophy but in life and
viewed women as "unfinished men."
I was very disappointed in Aristotle's beliefs. He was sexist and had no respect for
women. Even in reproduction he believed that the woman were only good for receiving and
delivering the baby, whereas the child got all of the male's traits. To bad his views were more
accepted than his teacher's, Plato.
Plato had a more positive view on women, which I really admire. He viewed men and women as
equals. He believed that women could use reason and logic just as capably as men making them just
as good of leaders as men. He also believed that a government that does not utilize their women is
only half as strong.
The fact that many of the authorities in the novel were men does not surprise me one
bit. Women's rights have always been controversial up until today. It is sad that people have
and some people still have these ideas due to writer's like Plato, but I am glad that it is not a
problem today. I have great expectations for women today and for the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment