Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Prompt #5 My Philosophical Experience

Molly Brothers

Mrs. Wilhelmus

English 11AP

13 August 2013

                                                         My Philosophical Experience

     Before reading this book, I had never read anything about philosophy. I did not even know what to

expect before reading this. As I read about each of the philosophers, it opened up my eyes to a world

I did not know. I have learned so many new things about the world, some that I agree and some that

I do not agree with.

     I really liked Kant's idea that you have to use sense and reason to find the truth. I always knew that

things existed even if they were not visible to the eye but had never thought how it could be

possible. I also liked Socrates for his boldness. I liked how he would get others to think out of the

box. While others thought he was pushy, I thought it was just what the people needed.
    
     The one philosopher I did not enjoy was Aristotle. Although he was very smart and a highly

respected philosopher, I just can not get over his views on women. I think his views on women make

him look arrogant and sexist. After reading his take on women, I lost respect for the man.

     All in all, I actually enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. I think it was good for me to

see other people's views on some of life's biggest questions. Before reading this book, I did not

have much interest in philosophy. I was deep down in the rabbit's fur. But now after reading Sophie's

World, I am heading to the top for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment